ATEG Archives

June 2005

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 00:19:53 -0700
Is this the only list which would dissect praise to itself?  :-)

This discussion is a great example of how punctuation stands in for
intonation and therefore signalling of relationships between ideas.
Commas, parentheses, and dashes (and I mean dashes, not hyphens) seem
to me to be _about_ the same as signals of "parentheticality" (great
word!), which I, as others, feel means something like an added
afterthought in this case. I think the dashes might be best in this
case because it makes the "addedness" absolutely clear.

This list -- and this organization -- is a priceless resource.

Interesting that an "afterthought" can come before the verb -- between
the syntactic planning and the utterance.

Johanna Rubba, Assoc. Prof., Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Department
Cal Poly State University
San Luis Obispo, CA 93047