ATEG Archives

December 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:44:17 -0500
The overwhelming success of English in this country and the eagerness of immigrants to learn English are evidence of the power of the free market.  We became and have remained an English-speaking nation because of competition in the marketplace of language since colonial days, and the debate over English has frequently been intense, even acrimonious.  Ben Franklin wrote a well-known attack on increasing German immigration into Pennsylvania and their continuing use of their language rather than English.  In the late 20th c. there were predictions of a shift from English to Spanish; the President's Commission on Language under the Carter Administration estimated that by 2020 the US would be a majority Spanish-speaking nation.  The success of English has required no legislation; it simply reflects the free market at work.

I've made this case with a number of friends of mine who favor legislation to make English the official language and to restrict the use of other languages in civic and governmental matters.  They are largely conservative in their politics and so strongly favor free market solutions--except in the case of language, where it has obviously worked well but where they want government intervention nonetheless.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University