ATEG Archives

July 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:18:16 -0400
    Since it relates very much to some of our current conversation, I
would like to put in a plug for "Beyond The Grammar Wars," edited by
Terry Locke, recently published (2010) by Routledge. It is subtitled
"A Resource for Teachers and Students on Developing Language Knowledge
in the English/Literacy classroom."
   The opening article--"Blowing in the Wind: English Grammar in United
States Schools"--co-authored by Martha Kolln and myself, is a
substantial revision of our 2005 article on the same subject. The
anthology is international, bringing in perspectives from across the
English speaking world, including New Zealand, Scotland, Australia,
England. Frances Christie has a wonderful article on grammar wars in
Australia. Other authors include Debra Myhill, Richard Andrews, Urszala
Clark, Hilary Janks, and Constance Weaver, who gives a thoughtful
history of the evolution of her own perspective.
   Those of you who teach teacher training courses can probably get a
review copy. I believe that is the marketed audience.
   Other English speaking countries have been moving forward on the
reintegration of grammar, though the form it should take remains a
contentious issue.

Craig