ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
"Wollin, Edith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 15:37:37 -0700
I don't think you are wrong about things getting worse as they are getting
better.  When Michael Kischner and I did a pre and post study of student
writing in descriptive paragraphs for our grammar class (which involves
diagramming syntax and then practicing the structure in sentence combining
exercises with an emphasis on how different phrasings affect meaning and
depend on context), we found that some students were actually making more
punctuation errors at the end of the quarter than they were at the
beginning--and we teach the punctuation along with the syntax.  but a closer
look showed that those same people were also writing more "complex"
sentences than they were at the beginning of the quarter.  Some had moved
only from very simple, uncomplicated sentences to compound sentences, but
they had moved, and this punctuation problem seemed to be a result.  I would
have loved to have had the students for another quarter to see what happened
next. Would progress continue without focused teaching and learning?

Edith Wollin
North Seattle CC