ATEG Archives

January 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2011 19:57:28 -0500
TJ,
    In "After he had finished the book, he returned it" there are three
ways in which time reference is being established. One is "after" as
subordinating conjunction. Another is "finished," which construes the
reading as over. The third is the past perfect. As alternative,
consider "When he had read the book, he returned it," where all the
weight of time relation falls on the past perfect. "When he read the
book, he returned it" would sound as though both were happening at the
same time. It's not unusual, of course, to have redundancy within the
grammar.
   Here's another example, this time in consecutive sentences. "When my
wife came home, she was in for a great surprise. I had cleaned the
house." The past tense alternative, "I cleaned the house," would imply
that it happened after her return rather than before.

Craig

A fairly direct definition might include what follows:

> A succinct explanation of the past perfect tense may be found in
> George Curme’s A Grammar of the English Language.  Curme defines the
> past perfect tense: This form represents a past action or state as
> completed at or before a certain past
> time.  His example is “After he had finished the book, he returned
> it.”  Two actions whose sequence is made explicit by the two tense
> forms.
>

> The past tense regularly is found to function with an adverb of time
> instead of a second verb in the the past tense:  The bell had rung
> before midnight last night.
>

> The past perfect tense is often found in the progressive form:  The
> bell had been ringing for a long time by midnight.
>

> The past perfect tense may be found in both the active and passive
> voices:  The bell had been rung before midnight.  The sexton had rung
> the bell before midnight.
>

> These last two possibilities may be found together:  The bell had been
> being rung when he got there.
>

> As with the present perfect and the future perfect tenses, the past
> perfect is a device for distinguishing between two points in time.
> The present perfect denotes an event occurring in the recent past:  He
> has graduated by now.  The future perfect deals with an action
> expected to occur prior to a later action or time in the future:  He
> will have graduated by 2012.
>

> tj
>

> On Tuesday 01/04/2011 at 1:07 pm, Craig Hancock   wrote:
>> Herb,
>>        Great plan. There would, I think, be two parts to it--what do
>> we agree
>> to assign the term "past perfect" to (as a form) and how does that
>> form function in discourse. I think it would also help to look at the
>> past perfect at work in a text that most people admire. Maybe I'll
>> take on that part of it.
>>
>> Craig>
>>
>> Craig,
>>>

>>> This is a good suggestion, that we have a substantive, productive
>>> discussion of the past perfect.  Brad wants a definition that will
>>> work
>>> for a fifth grader, and we've pretty much agreed that a simpler