ATEG Archives

November 2010

From:
Susan van Druten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2010 20:51:22 -0600
Eduard,

Science is the study of the natural world.  The type of knowledge it can uncover is testable, is fruitful, explains and predicts diverse phenomena, provides the simplest (Occamian) explanation, and does not conflict with establish beliefs (unless it does more of the others as "compensation").  This is not my personal explanation, as I do not have one because a good definition of science should not have subjective definitions.

By the way, someone who is artful with language knows that repeatedly telling someone she shouldn't take offense means you'd like her to do just that.  If you believe you have a better command of English than 80% of native speakers, does that mean your intent was to be insulting?  I choose to believe that your weren't being deliberately insulting, which means that your command of language isn't as precise as you believe.  However, I could be wrong.  If only we could run a controlled experiment!

Susan