ATEG Archives

November 1999

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:06:47 -0500
Mike Medley wrote:

"I think the analogies of math and music with grammar that
have been tossed into the discussion so far are wonderful and
deserve further exploration.  I am sure that most readers here will
have heard of the strong correlation between children's math skills
and musical abilities.  If we can find ways to investigate
and integrate these three skills, we may have a powerful combination
that will go a long way toward persuading the educational
establishment and the public that a program of grammar instruction is
valuable."

It seems to me that grammar is very much like music theory (I've spoken of
this before). Both are attempts to explain language (music IS a language, as
has been attested to by far better minds than mine) *as it practiced.*
Grammar doesn't exist before language, and music theory doesn't exist before
musical composition. They both are descriptors of human practices.

Mathematics, however, can exist independently, I believe (correct me if I'm
wrong) of any "language." I don't believe that it describes any human
practice, but rather explains nature.  Is math a language? I tend to think
it is other than language. What do the rest of you think?

Paul E. Doniger
The Gilbert School
"Reason enslaves all whose minds are not strong enough to master her." - G.
B. Shaw