ATEG Archives

May 2001

From:
Larry Beason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 10:12:37 -0500
Shun,
In case I miscommunicated, let me clarify me point.  I think it would be easy to find many examples of paragraphs when a writer shifts tense, but what I no longer have examples of are comments written by teachers who mistakenly claim there is an error in 'tense shift'.  Some teaches write 'tense shift' simply because a student shifts verb tense within a paragraph, and often the student had good reason for shifting the tense.  However, some teachers continue to mistakenly mark such shifts as errors.

I do not look over many teachers' comments nowadays, so I do not have examples of this sort of feedback from teachers.

larry

>>> shun Tang <[log in to unmask]> - 5/21/01 2:26 AM >>>
Larry,

Unfortunately enough, you cannot provided an example. I admit examples for
English is extremely difficult. Common examples are very rare. Grammarians
searching for thousands of books without noticing examples for 'in the
past'. Teachers have trouble to find English examples, even spending half a
day in newspaper. But this is the usual way we find the 'common examples' to
convince pupils.

Shun
englishtense.com