ATEG Archives

April 2005

From:
Edward Vavra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 17:03:48 -0400
Gretchen and Johanna,

      You both appear to be looking for suggestions, so I am curious about why neither of you appear to have looked at the Guide to KISS Grammar that I have recently suggested

http://home.pct.edu/~evavra/kiss/wb/LPlans/Guide_Book1.htm

It clearly addresses scope and sequence, errors, style, and assessment. I also has hundreds of exercises that teachers can simply take and use * for free. As I have noted previously, the approach is constantly being modified and improved, primarily by sugggestions from members of the KISS list who are using the approach.

Johanna,
   As for practical and not sterile * I would consider it as practical if it can be used to  help students analyze their own writing. I don't think your definitions can, nor do I see any attempt on your part to even try to do so. That you note that perhaps you should is a sign of hope. I sympathize with your problems in the course. I used to teach a similar course, but I concentrated on what students need to know, and they do not need much of the linguistic stuff that you include. Bascially, I took the attitude that they need to be able to identify subjects, finite verbs, complements, and clauses. We did include some work on verbals and noun absolutes, but, and in this I agree with you, for most students this was too much. We need to distinguish, however, what we do in the college classroom from what needs to be done in K-12. If students were taught how to identify the basics in K-12 (through at least clauses), your job in the college classroom would be much easier and productive. Feel free, by the way, to use the students' samples from the KISS site for your own work. See (again), for example, those from the Pennsylvania standards at:

http://home.pct.edu/~evavra/kiss/wb/G06/Nov/index.htm

Collecting a valid sample is not easy, and the state standards are not the best, but they are an objective collection, not made by the researcher.
     Finally, my sense is that you think you have to teach students how to identify every word all at the same time. Thus you refer to sentences that are too complex. Thus, for example, if a sentence includes a participle my sense is that you feel the need to explain participles to the students. I have not found that to be true. It takes some practice, and there are a few "keys" that will help students (for example, a finite verb phrase can never begin with "to"), but students, using, as you say they should use, their own unconscious understanding of grammar, can learn to identify all the subject / finite verb / complement patterns in even the most complex sentences. Once they see that they can do that, they often WANT to learn about the other constructions. This is not just my experience, it is also being reported on the KISS list.

Ed

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/01/05 9:59 PM >>>

In a message dated 4/1/2005 5:51:13 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,