ATEG Archives

April 2005

From:
"Kischner, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:00:26 -0700
It seems that we are talking about restrictive and non-restrictive, but
you can avoid it in this case by telling them that, if the writer has
written only one story (or poem or whatever), you would set it off with
commas.  If the writer has written more than one, then one does not use
commas.  It gets a little more complicated when you start adding
modifiers:  "In her greatest short story, 'The Yellow Wallpaper,"
Charlotte. . . " -- because she has written only one "greatest" short
story.  Or "In her story about kitchen remodels, 'The Yellow
Wallpaper,". . .  (sorry, Ive taught the story but just now totally
forget what it was about!).