ATEG Archives

August 2010

From:
Dan Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:05:15 -0700
It can be amusing and entertaining to debate the niceties of usage and
the idiosyncracies of English amongst peers. These sorts of "debates"
can get lots of people involved and spark interesting
insights--BUT.....

It's crucial that when we step into our roles as teachers, we are able
to distinguish between teaching students about our grammatical pet
peeves and teaching students the skills of literacy, critical
thinking, and meaning-making. As an English teacher, I have a mere 18
weeks with my students. Many of these students have been
under-prepared for college. This necessitates that I need to be highly
selective about what concepts are worth devoting classtime to. I often
have to elide all sorts of important lessons from my class. In this
context, I simply don't think it's fair to my students to waste their
time by enforcing against my pet peeves.

Having said that, I would put the distinction between "plan on" vs.
"plan to" squarely in the categroy of "pet peeve". In the grand
scheme, it makes almost no difference which one my students use.
Furthermore, it's not very productive to debate these sorts of
idiosyncracies of usage in a way that is divorced from the written
context in which they appear, so I commend those people who have
pushed the discussion towards examining context

Sincerely,
Dan Roth
Contra Costa College