ATEG Archives

April 2005

From:
William McCleary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:37:43 -0700
Johanna:

I'd like to say that it only applies to overly prescriptive
professors. That was the case in the formation of NCTE: the colleges
(i.e., their English departments) were prescribing which pieces of
literature students must have read in order to be admitted to certain
colleges.

However, the reason I gave up making presentations to high school
teachers was that it seemed as though I couldn't tell them anything
without getting someone's back up. For instance, I often said, in
response to a question, that college professors in general hate the
5-paragraph essay and wish that high school teachers would stop
teaching it. You can imagine how well that little bit of information
went over! I never even got a chance to explain why.

The real problem, of course, is that speakers were usually invited by
administrators or department heads, and your rank-and-file  teachers
had no say in choosing who would speak or whether there should be
in-service training in the first place. So they arrived at the
training session in no mood to have information rained on them from
on high. I couldn't really complain. I felt the same way when I was a
secondary teacher.

Maybe things have changed. I hope so.

Bill