ATEG Archives

June 2007

From:
Steve Cornwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:19:22 +0900
Hi there,

I teach in Japan and a question has recently come up regarding the
following sentence: "But it is only recently that we have had the
appropriate equipment to help us see the brain during moments of
religious activity."

A Japanese colleague has told me that she learned "It is" can be
followed by an adjective but not an adverb and wondered why the sentence
above, with "only recently," is considered correct (by native speakers
of English).

Can anyone shed some light on this?

thanks,
steve c.