ATEG Archives

January 2004

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 20:31:12 -0500
Actually there is a potential classroom use for some of these discussions. I haven't tried this with an ATEG thread, but a few years ago when alt.usage.English was still discussing points of grammar and lexicography instead of flame-baiting, I would have UG grammar students follow threads and develop questions or responses that they would first review with me and then submit to the newsgroup.  This led to some interesting interactions, one of which included a flame attack on me from other group participants for making their discussion grist for classroom discussion.  But the students enjoyed the work and, at least from their comments, found it worthwhile.  The purpose of the exercise was to have the students observe and engage in discussion with people who work with English professionally and have a strong commitment to the study of the language.  Maybe I'll try it out with ATEG, FunkNet, or ADS threads.

Herb