ATEG Archives

August 2008

From:
diane skinner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:42:54 -0700
To All (or anyone),

Assuming that nouns and verbs are labeled as form classes (they accept
derivational and/or inflectional morphemes) and considering
that restrictions on word selection and its position allow the hearer
( and/or reader) to understand what the speaker (and/or writer) is
trying to communicate, yet recognizing that these form classes often
overlap in function (a verb can act like a noun: I study English. /  I
study English in my study.), how is it that a few commentators during
the NBC broadcast of the Olympics --presumably speaking Standard
American English--said, "He should medal" and "He should, at least,
podium"?

I'm not a purist, but I'm still trying to get used to "I'll email you,
and you text me back."

Diane Skinner