ATEG Archives

October 2004

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 11:42:28 -0700
Kent,

The traditional analysis runs roughly as follows:

The infinitive (to become...) is the object of the verb want, and
therefore has the objective case applied to it. The subject of the
infinitive, if there were one, would therefore take the objective case.
The infinitive doesn't have an overt subject, but the subject complement
matches the case of the subject, so in this case 'him' is perfectly
correct. is in the objective (accusative ) case.

Personally, I have some problems with this analysis, but even with a
more linguistically up-to-date account, you reach the same point:
complements can be in the objective case without being objects themselves.

Karl Hagen
Department of English
Mount St. Mary's College