ATEG Archives

March 2004

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:07:19 -0500
Christine,
   I was forwarding the message from Joan Livingston-Webber, so your
response is to her post about her classroom practices.
(I would be proud to call them my own, but that would be misleading.)
 She has been having trouble reading ATEG posts when they come directly
to her computer.
     You're absolutely right.  We need to be very careful not to
oversimplify.
     A good friend and colleague had an interesting way to say this in a
talk yesterday: "It would be OK to tell students it's OK to be
themselves if we could change the world for that to be true."  In
reality, the task is far more complex than that. Our students need to
negotiate their way in a world that will be both open and hostile, and
sometimes the openness will be illusory, and sometimes the hostility
will at least have the advantage of being clear. And sometimes we need
to listen to them to perceive these differences.
    It doesn't do any good to tell students you like them (or accept
them)  if you are setting them up for failure.
    As progressive educators, we sometimes do more harm than good by our
discomfort with clear standards.
    The natural language of our students is a wonderful starting point
for growth, but it will not be a starting point for growth if we  don't
demand (expect) significant development. In general, they are capable of
far more than we are asking of them, and most students want to be pushed
when that comes from a respect for their capabilities.
     If Smitherman is right (I think she is), syntactic features are
minor, and the major difference is what she calls a communicative style,
which can almost be paraphrased as a different way of being in a
communal world. Gates uses this also to argue for African-American
literature being judged from within that community. It has an organic
connection to that community that would be lost when judged from
different standards.
    If the only differences were surface feature differences, then
dialect would little matter.
    Perhaps one of the reasons this becomes so political is that there
are enormous political implications. An articulate populace is more
likely to defend its own interests.
    What we have going, of course, is the wonderful realization that
being bi-dialectical is not only possible, but deeply enriching.
Consciousness of double consciousness dates all the way back to W. E. B.
Dubois and probably began when the first two slaves decided they would
say one thing to each other and another to the master. We now recognize
that the truest histories of pre civil war America are in the slave
narratives. We may once have wanted to suppress them, but now they are
priceless treasures we work hard to unearth.

Craig

Christine
Christine Reintjes wrote:

> Craig,
>

> "No one in my classes thinks or leaves thinking that all dialects are
> socially or politically equal."
>
> I hope this is true of my classes also. I'm aware that this is the first
> thing the gets distorted when there are discussions about the "inherent"
> equality of dialects.
>
> I use the example of the fact that so many English computer terms have
> become part of the vocabulary of many other languages. Why did this
> happen?
> Why not Arabic or Inuit? I ask them where did these specailized words
> come
> from within English since they obviously weren't around 100 years ago.
> Anyway, I try to discuss how dialects develop differently depending on
> how
> they are used and the social and political pressures at work.
>
> Who are these people going around saying all dialects are politically and
> socially equal?? I've never heard anyone say that, but people do react
> as if
> that is what is being put forth.
> --
>
> Christine Reintjes Martin
>

>> From: Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: [Fwd: Re: success of linguistic grammars?]
>> Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 08:21:23 -0500
>>
>>  Joan Livingston-Webber asked me to forward this thoughtful message to
>> the group.

>>> me
>>> my
>>> wrap