ATEG Archives

August 2010

From:
"Castilleja, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 2010 14:32:29 -0700
Dear All

I am an English teacher and grammarian, but I am interested in linguistics.  I believe that anything I can learn about the English language (or other languages, for that matter) informs my teaching. I teach grammar to pre-service teachers. They will often ask "Why do I need to know this stuff? I'll never use it."  I tell them that the more they know about the language, the better they will be able to help their students.  They don't have to teach their students about object complements, maybe, but they should know what they are. This is especially true since most of them will be teaching English language learners in elementary school. These children deserve knowledgeable teachers who are willing to continue learning themselves.

I would be saddened if this list were split. I want to hear from all sides, and I will sift through for material I can use or even just think about.  Plus, I am interested the history of the English language. Knowing how structures developed can definitely give one a better understanding of the language.

Janet