ATEG Archives

August 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:16:02 -0400
My inland-Southern native dialect uses something like "pea-yun" (out of
context, it would be hard to distinguish from the inland Southern
present participle of a colloquial verb referring to urination).  I have
seen phonics texts for early elementary ed that use "pen" as the primary
example word for "short e" -- an example which won't be at all useful
for any Southerner.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University