ATEG Archives

February 2007

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:37:51 -0500
Johanna,

On the "not un+Adj" construction, there was a nice piece, possibly in an early CLS volume, titled "Is a not-unhappy person a happy person?", that argued that the construction is not simply a reversal of polarity but rather an expression of degree such that "not un+Adj" means '"n+Adj" but less so'.  This is in contrast to the polarity switching that goes on with multiple negation in the auxiliary:

The suspect was not sleeping.
The suspect wasn't not sleeping.
The suspect has not been sleeping.
The suspect has been not sleeping.
The suspect has not been not sleeping.
The suspect could not have been sleeping.
The suspect could have not been sleeping.
The suspect could have been not sleeping.
The suspect could not have not been sleeping.
The suspect could not have been not sleeping.
The suspect could have not been not sleeping.
The suspect could not have not been not sleeping.
The suspect couldn't not have not been not sleeping.

Anything with more than two negatives in the auxiliary needs the sort of context only Perry Mason could build up during cross-examination.

Or, in that infuriatingly condescending manner of some older textbooks, the demonstration is left to the student.

Herb