ATEG Archives

July 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:40:44 -0400
Clitic is an uncomfortably broad and ill-defined term, and the extended Wikipedia definition does it at least partial justice.  It's a cover term for all those things in languages that don't behave unexceptionably like words and also don't behave unexceptionably as affixes.  That tells us what they aren't.  Describing what they are has occupied a number of very good linguists for significant parts of their careers.  Just look at Arnold Zwicky's publications on clitics, and he's probably the best of those who have looked at the problem.  We can, however, say that certain clitics in certain languages behave in certain ways.  Unstressed pronouns in Romance languages tend to behave quite a bit alike, as do articles and auxiliaries in Germanic languages.   But one definition that is necessary and sufficient for clitics around the world?  Next some one will be asking for a unified field theory.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University