ATEG Archives

February 2007

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 23:27:22 -0500
Cynthia,

"Snuck" is an interesting case.  It's actually a pretty recent innovation.  The OED defines it only as a "chiefly US past tense and participle of 'sneak'" and does not provide examples.  However, "sneak" itself is of fairly recent attestation, dating back only to 1596, although there's a possible cognate in Old Norse that would be about 800 years older.  "Sneak" is historically a weak verb, and is that also in Modern Standard English, so its past tense would be "sneaked".  However, it is almost universally "snuck" in common usage in the US.  "Drag" is similar, a weak verb that has taken on the form "drug" as a past and past participle.  What's happened here is that "sneak" and "drug" have been reanalyzed as strong verbs, that is, verbs that change tense by changing the vowel and not by adding a -d or a -t.  But unlike the three forms that most strong verbs have, as in "take/took/taken", these two have only two, like weak verbs:  sneak/snuck/snuck instead of sneak/sneaked/sneaked.  This reversal of the overall trend in English verb forms from strong to weak--"help" used to be strong, the pp "holpen" occurring in the King James Version--is at the very least peculiar.  It's rare that the more complex, less regular form would be the basis of analogy.  Usually it's the more regular form that acts this way.  "Sneak", in some dialects including Buffalo NY, and Santa Monica, CA, has a distinct past plural form, so those speakers say "I snuck" but "we snook".  What makes this form even more bizarre is that fact that up into Middle English, English had a past plural form in strong verbs that was distinct from the infinitive, the past singular, and the past participle.  An example of this would be the Old English verb for "to drive", "drifan", where the /f/ between vowels would be pronounced [v].  It's principal parts were (where a double vowel indicates a long vowel)

infinitive          driifan
past singular       draaf
past plural         drifon
past participle     gedrifen

Now, "snook" is not a reversal of the Early Middle English loss of the past plural form.  Historical change simply does not reverse itself that way.  It's simply a curious modern innovation that, by coincidence, expresses a meaning that an OE form with the same meaning expressed.

Herb