ATEG Archives

November 2004

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:40:55 -0800
Barbara,

I love the "education so you can be used" slogan. It hits the nail right
on the head. I teach in a state college system, and the emphasis is more
and more on college as purely workforce preparation; there is heavy
emphasis on "throughput" (getting students out in the minimum time
possible) and "accountability" in terms of measurable, quantifiable
behaviors. In other words, just teach 'em to be willing cogs in the
machine, not to question anything.

As to "what REALLY works to fill in those gaps" in the prior education
of students at every level above primary school, I'm a pessimist on this
count, I'm afraid. I see in my students such a profound difference in
_mindset_ about what it means to be educated ... such a profound lack of
the habit of deep thinking, and a circumscription of their curiousity
about the world -- I sincerely believe that in all but exceptional
cases, the barrier is almost too great to be overcome. It requires a
commitment of energy and time that may well be impossible for young
adults. The energy has to come from a sincere commitment to put in
mental work that is going to be very demanding and unaccustomed (such as
thinking a problem through in sustained fashion, even if it takes an
hour, or making the effort of improving one's reading level dramatically
by starting with slow, careful reading and then slowly speeding up). I
think the cause of this problem is that a young adult is more conscious
of how hard hard work is; a child who still has that natural curiosity
may work very hard, but have fun doing it, because it serves the goal of
satisfying the curiosity. A toddler will work very hard to manipulate
toy blocks that won't cooperate; it takes a lot of failure before they
give up. Children who hate to work hard usually hate it because their
curiosity in the subject is naturally missing or has been killed, or
because they don't have a goal that the work serves.

As to time, clearly young adults have a lot less leisure time than
children. Most have jobs as well as school and have to start taking
charge of the paperwork and errands of adult life themselves. Some have
children of their own to look after.

If we're to believe a lot of the new information coming out about the
brain, the information-loaded, channel-surfing world of young people
today is literally handicapping the brain in regard to tasks that
require sustained attention.

I don't remember where I heard this anecdote, but there was a
primary-school classroom in which the day was started with meditation.
After the meditation, the children were far better able to concentrate
and sustain their attention than children in classrooms where the
meditation was not being done.

Johanna Rubba   Associate Professor, Linguistics
English Department, California Polytechnic State University
One Grand Avenue  • San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Tel. (805)-756-2184  •  Fax: (805)-756-6374 • Dept. Phone.  756-2596
• E-mail: [log in to unmask] •      Home page:
http://www.cla.calpoly.edu/~jrubba