ATEG Archives

May 2006

From:
Nancy Tuten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 22:28:42 -0400
Thanks, Herb.

My cowriter and I are about to undertake a revision of all our articles, and
we will certainly be able to strengthen this one by clarifying the
difference between the possessive and the genitive.

We have another article on the subject of using possessive pronouns before
gerunds. Wouldn't the same logic apply there, too?

Since our primary audience for these articles consists of people who already
find grammar and usage frustrating (although some of them are grammar snobs,
too, I'm afraid), we try not to get too technical; however, teachers to the
core, we cannot resist the opportunity to explain how and why certain
constructions have come to be considered "right" or "wrong"--and also how
those "rules" have evolved (and how they continue to change). We hope that
along the way we are gently steering people away from rigid prescriptive
positions while at the same time acknowledging the fact that they are often
judged in the business world by their mastery of what is currently
considered "correct" English grammar, mechanics, and usage.

Thank you for taking time to read the article and for your careful and clear
explanation! I hope your students will benefit from the site, and I also
hope that you won't hesitate to let me know if you stumble across any other
holes or fuzzy spots (or downright mistakes!) in our explanations.

Best,
Nancy

Nancy L. Tuten, PhD
Professor of English
Director of the Writing-across-the-Curriculum Program
Columbia College
Columbia, South Carolina
803-786-3706