ATEG Archives

December 1998

From:
Ito kazumasa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 00:09:04 +0900
Hello listers,
. There are many idiomatic expressions
in English using "cat(s)". Curiosity killed the cat, Care killed the cat, A
cat has nine lives, etc.
Among them are ones which use names of places in England and Ireland. i.e.,
"grin like a Cheshire cat" and "fight like Kilkenny cats" Because
dictionaries(both monolingual and bilingual) categorize them
differently(Chiefly British, Colloquial, Archaic, etc), I did a little
research on the Internet. What I found may be inaccurate, however. I would
appreciate it if someone would provide feedback on this question. Thank you
in advance.

Kazumasa Ito
Sapporo, Japan