ATEG Archives

March 2010

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 21:58:08 -0500
About eight years ago I did a detailed study of linguistic assumptions embedded in the Indiana Language Arts Standards, which aren't bad as state standards go.  For the content to be taught simply as detailed in the standards teachers would have to have much more sophisticated knowledge of grammar and of language than they get in any undergrad teacher ed. program that I've seen.  Teachers, as Dave and others have mentioned, are expected understand and teach the nature and consequences of language variation.  The most they get of this in Indiana is a course in language and culture that is partly devoted to variation.  And our English Ed. staff have fought to have that course dropped from the English Ed. requirements.  Indiana teachers in general cannot teach to the standards because they haven't themselves been taught the content.

But there is a deeper problem.  I first saw this made explicit in the research presentation of a candidate for a faculty position in linguistics and TESOL.  She did her dissertation on cultural interpretation of government educational standards in Japan.  What she demonstrated was that the consumers of those standards, teachers, teacher trainers, school administrators and board members, and parents, simply didn't see standards that went counter to their expectations and understanding of that content area.  They understood the standards in terms of what they knew and expected, and any content that varied from these two conditions was simply not there for them.

I fear that the same is true in Indiana of the grammatical and linguistic content of the language arts standards. It's hard to make an argument when people simply don't acknowledge the existence or relevance of a certain body of knowledge.

But you know all this or you wouldn't have started the New Public Grammar list.

Herb