ATEG Archives

April 2004

From:
"Hadley, Tim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:58:27 -0500
Gretchen and fellow-ATEGers,

I'm no expert, but the structure of that email looks like the class virus-carrying email: It claims to come from a source that you know, and it claims that YOU have sent something that had a virus in it. It then says to "see attached document" for details.

Since you didn't knowingly send a virus, you are tempted to click the attachment to see what's going on. DON'T DO IT!  :-) That attachment is where the virus really is, and if you click it, your computer, and perhaps your whole network, will be infected.

To answer Gretchen's question, the way this usually happens is that someone's email gets hijacked this way (that is, they DO click on the attachment) and the virus then sends these kinds of messages to everyone on that person's mailing list, including listservs. There are other ways it can happen, but this is one of the most common.

So, for us to get this kind of email, someone on the ATEG list must be infected--or at least was infected at some point in the recent past. One solution is to never open any attachment that comes from a source you do not know, or that makes a claim (like the one we're discussing) that you know or suspect isn't true.

Let's be careful out there . . .

Tim Hadley
Ph.D. candidate, Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Texas Tech University