ATEG Archives

January 2009

From:
DD Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:28:44 -0600
At 11:30 PM 1/22/2009, Scott wrote:
>. . . I caught my error
>immediately and stated, "I stand corrected: the opposite is true."  The lady
>asked why I had said "I stand corrected"; she had never heard the term and
>her ancestors had been here over a century.  Has this expression passed from
>use?

DD: Not according to; "stand." The American
HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English Language,
Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004.
23 Jan. 2009.
<Dictionary.com<http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stand>http<http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stand>://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stand>.

Which lists the phrase as Definition, 8 ; To be
in a specified state or condition: I stand
corrected. We stand in awe of the view.
Furthermore, I use the term often as I often err,
get corrected and declaim it.

>Number two at the same Games was a person asking what "in lieu of" meant.
>Both appeared to be educated Caucasians from the Middle Atlantic states and
>were around 50.
>Comments?

DD: I use that a lot, myself. I speak High
Standard Southern English. { Decayed Southun
Gentry 78 years old. } "Middle Atlantic? Oh well,
what can you expect out of Yankees?"