ATEG Archives

November 1999

From:
"Kathleen M. Ward" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 09:08:52 -0800
My experience was different--we had grammar, systematically taught
and reviewed every year from third grade on.  This was not in some
tremendously academic pressure-cooker, either, but in in a working
-class industrial town north of Boston in the late fifties, early
sixties. By the eight grade, we knew a lot about grammar-certainly
enough to be able to read a handbook.  And this was quite a universal
attainment among students, as our high school teachers observed
regularly.

So, why not now?

Kathleen Ward