ATEG Archives

June 2007

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 09:22:21 -0400
Peter,
   I will resist giving you the ten page answer to this (in first post).
It is a question I have wrestled with quite a bit.
   I don't think a grammar can be descriptive in the usual sense, simply
because forms aren't empty of content and language is not outside of
context. My own book is "meaning-centered" and has been called "a
traditional grammar from a functional perspective." The focus is on
what happens when words come together to form meanings.
   I know most people understand grammar to be about what is acceptable
and what is not, and so the question you ask is a thoughtful one. How
can we describe use without being biased toward one group over another,
and how can we describe use so that people who want to find access have
the information they need to meet the hoop jumping criteria of academia
or of public life?
   As you may have noticed, my whole emphasis has always been on knowledge
about language, not on controlling anyone's behavior, and the
anti-grammar movement generally tends to accept that behavior has to
conform, but that we can do that with as little knowledge as possible.
What they don't accept is that grammar is at the heart of everything we
do with language, that words don't simply add up their individual
meanings, but combine with each other in meaningful ways, not just in
the formation of utterances, but in the construction of complex texts.
   In short,your question reduces the issue to usage. We can (and should)
have a description of language that pays attention to how it means.
   A few things happen in tandem. The student now knows enough about
language to follow any usage conversation thoughtfully. And the
students can see the highly functional aspects of informal language
use.
   If you want to use "descriptive grammar" in the same way you might say
"descriptive physics", I'd be happy to come on board. The principles
are highly nuanced, highly complex, and it involves seeing through to
the heart of language, which is also the heart of our shared humanity.

Craig

I've been poking around in several grammars of English for the past few