ATEG Archives

June 2005

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:25:16 -0400
Johanna,
   I suspect this is just a disagreement about how we are using the
terms.  To me, descriptive versus prescriptive, as most people
understand it, conjures up a long-standing dispute that cannot be won by
either side. The fragment issue is a case in point.  We can declare that
they are always wrong (the prescriptivist approach) or point out that
they show up in the work of successful writers (Ed's very useful
description), but neither of  those seem particularly satisfying.  From
a more "functional" perspective, we can ask what work the writer is
trying to accomplish and whether that fragment, in that context, helps
accomplish the larger goals of the piece. But something more than
describing is involved in this. I'm trying to make the case for a
different frame of reference from the ones that stalemate the usual debate.
     You seem to be assuming that I am making an argument for "logical"
understanding of language, (something like Fish's point, I think, that
we can intuitively discover the logical relationships by studying
sentences in isolation.) But that's not what I have in mind.
     I love Herb's description of how Frost's verb phrases shift from
ditransitive to simple transitive when the star is now too distant to be
talked to.  He is making a sensitive connection between the form of the
poem and the meaning of the poem, implying without directly stating it
that the form is not a neutral conveyor of content, but deeply
implicated in the production of meaning. A sentence is not an isolated
unit, but a move in a series of related moves, and the fact that the
speaker wanted to talk to the star is very key, because we want our
relationship to the cosmos to be personal even when it's not; the poem
is a poem about longing for something that the star cannot and will not
give us.. If that's what you mean by descriptive--looking at successful
texts to see what makes them work and bringing ourselves more deeply
into the heart of the meaning--then I have no problem with it.
    One key, I think, though, is how to determine that a text is
successful. Grammar as traditionally described or prescribed seems too
mechanical.  To fully appreciate and understand the grammar, I think we
need to interpret the text, to see the whole as more than the sum of its
parts.  It means close looking, for sure, and agreeing to listen to each
other as we contribute our own sense of it.  Those of us involved in
interpretation of text may be more familiar with this than the average
linguist.  The notion that there's a right way to interpret the text or
that a writer says one thing to mean another, these are enemies as well.
 The text means what happens to us when we interact with it. But  if
someone offers a way of interacting that is rich and thoughtful and
moving, it is contagious, and it somehow becomes my own.  Not final or
closed, but deeply satisfying. (Is that a successful fragment?  Not if I
move it to another place.)
    I think describing is not the word I would use for this kind of
meaning centered activity.
    Fish's best point, which Herb emphasizes so well, is that the
current tendency is to use the text as a stepping off point for ideas.
 The language itself hardly matters.  But it seems to me that Fish
misses the point when he minimizes the notion of content or assumes that
all this can be discovered through looking at sentences in isolation.  A
sentence is effective insofar as it works in harmony with other
sentences and in harmony with evolving purposes. There are "descriptive"
approaches that fall far short of that insight (though I wouldn't think
of you as making that mistake.)
    Describing, as you describe it, is immensely important to the
enterprise.

Craig