ATEG Archives

March 2004

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:17:23 -0500
Johanna,
I can't quarrel for a moment about your statement that cognitive grammar
does a better job than SFG in fine-tuning our understanding of the
participants involved in a process if only because I don't know much as
yet about cognitive grammar. I look forward to learning more. For the
record, though, I wouldn't want those who are not aware of SFG to get
the impression that "process" and "participant" are not well refined
concepts. I gave enough information about them to help make my (our)
point that the kinds of participants are dictated by the nature of the
verb. SFG, of course, refines these categories in ways that I (and my
students) find enormously useful.
One other point. Any one of the participants in these processes can
enter into the grammatical subject role. The nature of the verb dictates
the kind of participant, but our desire to focus on one part of the
process or another dictates the kinds of statements we evolve. SFG is
particularly good at helping us see that flexibility as an aid in the
making of meaning..
"My brother gave my mother that old car." "That old car was given to my
mother by my brother." "My mother was given that old car by my brother."
"My brother gave that old car to our mom."
My point, I guess, is that we run into trouble if we think of
complements as dictated by the nature of the verb (like indirect object
or beneficiary, which only certain verbs will support) and as occurring
in the predicate, precisely because that doesn't allow us to acknowledge
the flexibility available to us as we construct meaningful discourse.
I'm sorry I introduced this as a side note to a point that Brock wasn't
interested in (since his confusion was some place else.) I'm glad one or
two people found it useful.

Craig