ATEG Archives

January 2000

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 23:06:38 -0500
Johanna Rubba asks:

>Grammar can be much more deeply integrated into the writing process than
>just as an editing 'clean-up' procedure.
>
>Does anyone else share these feelings?

In short: Yes! I have never felt comfortable with the reactive,
error-correction approach to grammar instruction.

What I think most of us are puzzled over is the what, when (and perhaps,
how) questions of grammar instruction. I think that's why we've got the 3S
committee working on these questions. Unfortunately, from my POV, not much
is getting done, or at best, things are moving at a snail's pace - oh for
the time and resources!

I have very few (NOT little) materials collected, so far. But then, I am
exceedingly busy this year.

Paul E. Doniger
The Gilbert School
"Reason enslaves all whose minds are not strong enough to master her." - G.
B. Shaw