ATEG Archives

January 2004

From:
Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 15:32:15 -0600
>From: Craig Hancock It may silly to blame ATEG or hard to fault anyone on
>the list, but
>we are reinforcing Ed's point with this discussion.  We do have
>competing terminology (and competing ideas).

The division that Ed and others have pointed out in this list seems to me to
be healthy, creative, and productive based on the levels of inquiry and the
purpose of that inquiry.  Therefore, discussion takes place not only at the
high school or even grammar school level but also at the college and
postgraduate levels, and the purpose may be to advance the field of
linguistics or to create a way to teach students how to avoid the dreaded
sentence fragment.  Obviously, a post by a linguist teaching at the
postgraduate level may not be helpful to the 9th grade classroom teacher -
and vice versa.  However, given that we're all literate adults, what's the
problem here?

Geoff Layton

Get reliable dial-up Internet access now with our limited-time introductory
offer.  http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup