ATEG Archives

December 2009

Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 2009 23:46:37 -0500
When I read the alleged statement, I said that I liked the point of view
but I doubted that any politician had the guts to say such truths.
Unhappily, I was right.

Kevin Rudd email hoax03/03/2009 at 4:07 PM 2 comments  Just in case anyone
has seen this and actually believes it to be true:

KEVIN RUDD has become the latest victim of an email hoax which claims to
report his inflammatory comments about Muslim immigration to Australia.
Mimicking a news agency report, the email reads: "Rudd angered some Muslims
on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's
mosques. "Immigrants, not Australians, must adapt. Take it or leave it. I am
tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual
or their culture." According to the website hoax-slayer.com an identical
email did the rounds last year, attributed to John Howard. But that hasn't
stopped it being posted on bulletin boards in the United States and Britain
(including, bizarrely, a forum about the British weather and a blog on the
mass circulation Daily Express newspaper) in recent weeks. There is also
evidence the email has reached mailboxes in Africa, New Zealand and
Singapore. (Source:
http://www.smh.com.au/national/oh-kevin-you-didnt-20090303-8nhz.html )

Why do people feel compelled to make things like this up?  And more to the
point how is it that so many people get sucked in by them?

N. Scott Catledge, PhD/STD
Professor Emeritus
history & languages