ATEG Archives

October 1999

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 23:00:37 -0400
I'm going to come down on the side of the adverbial.  You might call it
ambiguous, I suppose, just as "I have a pain in my back" could be either,
"In my back I have a pain" or "I have a back pain."  In either case,
however, the "back" structure tells where the pain is.

A more clear-cut kind of ambiguity appears when the prepositional phrase
tells either "which" or "where."  For example, "We followed the man in the
park" or "We talked to the man in the car."

You can often test for adverbialness by moving the phrase away from its
noun.  If you can do so without changing the meaning, it's probably
adverbial.

On the question of the verb, I see no ambiguity at all.  "Have" is a
transitive verb (not a form of be, Donna!), not linking.  And in the case
of "The migraine is in her head," "be" can take an adverbial as well as a
subject complement.  The pain is in her foot, The book is in the library,
My mother is in the hospital, The play was yesterday.  Those structures
following "be" are adverbial, not adjectival.  You might want to call them
complements, in that they "complete" the predicate--but they're not
adjectival.

Martha Kolln