ATEG Archives

September 2004

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:00:11 -0700
What's the reason for thinking that this isn't still a relative pronoun?
Although we tend to chide our students for fragments, professional
writers use them all the time for emphasis. Absent the full context, my
own assumption is that we just have a relative clause here, punctuated
as a complete sentence.

As for dates, if we ignore punctuation and look at the basic syntax,
'which' as the subject goes back to early Middle English, and its use in
broad reference to a preceding clause from the at least the end of the
14th century. (The OED's earliest citation is from Gower.) Personally,
I've always thought that usage books strain at gnats when they object to
this construction. Sometimes it can be ambiguous, but often it is not.

Karl Hagen
Department of English
Mount St. Mary's College