ATEG Archives

June 1998

From:
Michael Kischner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 13:40:55 -0700
I'm not sure why conjunctive adverbs should be any more "open" or "closed"
a set than any other class of words, such as coordinating conjunctions.  I
guess the set is somewhat "closed" by usage, but enough usage can
eventually open it up.    So I would tell that student that "albeit" and
"though" simply look funny and wrong as conjunctive adverbs and will
probably be considered wrong by anybody not sophisticated about language
and usage.