ATEG Archives

November 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2010 17:25:15 -0500
Susan,
    In a sense we can make a huge number of predictions about grammar; in
fact, we have to as language users, though we may do so somewhat
unconsciously. Without predictable patterning (a connection between
form and meaning), language as we know it would not be possible.
    "She is your friend" differs in meaning from "Is she your friend" in
very predictable ways. So, too "He made the room a mess" means
something very different from "He made the mess a room." The
differences are not in the meanings of the words, but in the
grammatical patterns.
    We can observe those patterns, make predictions on the basis of those
observations, and then test them out. Language may be hard to
understand, but I don't think it's wholly unpredictable or chaotic.
    This is, of course, a whole different enterprise than arguing about
whether adjectives should be used as adverbs (to cite one of your
examples.) I agree that grammar stops being a science when it becomes
narrowly prescriptive.

Craig  >

 Peter, I enjoyed reading about the recognition response experiment.