ATEG Archives

December 2009

From:
peyman javadi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Dec 2009 18:03:21 -0800
--- On Sun, 12/13/09, Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> From: Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: "We speak English ...
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Date: Sunday, December 13, 2009, 4:08 PM
> Peyman,
>     Thank you for such a thoughtful and
> interesting post. I am constantly
> humbled by immigrants like yourself who are able to learn
> English and
> keep alive one or two other languages. I would hope that
> any teacher
> would honor the home culture of your children and treat
> them with
> dignity and respect--treat them as a source of knowledge,
> in fact, in
> the classroom. One of the most reprehensible parts of the
> Australian
> speech that Brad thought valuable to pass along was the
> notion that
> Australia is a Christian nation and, by implication, only
> Christians
> could be true Australians. Many of my Muslim students have
> spoken and
> written about feeling threatened, especially after 9/11, by
> people who
> beleive they should stop wearing what they are wearing or
> practising
> their faith. We need to remind ourselves constantly that we
> are a
> tolerant nation.
>    I think the English Only Movement is not
> what it purports to be. Too
> often, it simply fans the flames of anti-immigrant
> sentiment.
>    You mention the Armenian immigrant who is
> struggling to adapt to this
> culture and still keep her home culture alive:
>    "she further goes into the never never
> land of never having an
>  opportunity to honor her own language in her own house
> with her own
> culture and people because America is now all of a sudden
> requiring her
> to learn yet another European language instead practice her
> own
> indigenous language of Armenian."
>    I believe those people who are the most
> reliable allies for helping her
> keep those traditions alive within her own family (and
> community) are
> the teachers who want to "honor the home culture" while
> still attending
> to the very real (and unsentimental) need to learn
> English.
>    For many generations in America, it has
> been the grandparents who speak
> little English, the parents who are bilingual, and the
> grandchildren
> who feel a great sense of loss as they learn English and
> americanize.
> This is the pattern for my own students. It was the pattern
> in my own
> family on my mother's side and for my wife on both sides.
>    America should be a place where languages
> other than English and
> alternative cultures (bilingualism and biculturalism)are
> [...]

Brian, Herb and Craig and all others interested in the subject,

I appreicate the responses to my post. However, let me again emphasize that I am tri-lingual(Farsi, Azeri Turkish and English)being; my own spouse is also tri-lingual(russian, kyrgyz and English); let me again say that I was raised from birth with different languages in Iran. There are many languages spoken in Iran such as Turkish, Kurdish, Gilaky, Lory, Russian, Armenian, Hendi, Urdu and of course(and I praise God in Heaven for this) Farsi.  The Farsi language connects the entire nation of Iran with a common bond.  I don't resent the reality that I had to speak Farsi in school, at public places or at gatherings.  I am by birth an Azeri Iranian, which means that my mother tongue is Azeri Turkish.  I never hid the reality that I am an azeri; I always let my frineds know(in Iran)that I was and am an Azeri. However, I am forever grateful that the Farsi language is and at least to this point been the official language of Iran,
again becuase it connects all the peoples of differnet backgrounds with one common language.  To this day, even in the United States, miles and miles away from Iran, when my Iranian friends and I gather for holiday Christmas gatherings or other social gatherings, the Farsi language is used eagerly and willingly by us all as a means of unity. No one dictates this to us; we use it willingly to connect and communicate; that is all.
It is simply a matter of respect and remaining united when people of different backgrounds speak one common language.  Russia, for example, has a very diverse population, with again languages like Assyrian, Armenian, Azeri, Uzbek, Uygur, Tatar, Polish, Farsi, and on and on, but they use the Russian language as a united means to communicate and have equality for all the differned peoples.  When you go to apply for a job in Russia, the only language that you really have to know is Russian; that is the language that is spoken in Russia.  This way, the Armenian or the Azeri are not discriminated against because of the simple fact that they would both speak Russian and would qualify for that job.  Those realities don't present rasism.  I applaud the courage of those of you who have expressed the same kinds of sentiments in reference to English being required as the language of the land.  As I said in my previous post, I totally believe that English should be
 the official language of the States and I don't see that as one ounce of prejudice due to the fact that I myself had to learn English and it is not my native tonuge.  Because of English as having been preceived as the language of the states by many including myself, my wife and I can communicate because I don't speak Russian and she does not speak Farsi, so English brought us toghether; because of English, I can speak with my native American frineds and they can speak with me; you see, I don't speak Navajo or Cherokee, and they don't speak Farsi, so here again English unites us, and it has.  Becuause of the English language as having been perceived as having been the language of the United States, my Arabic friends and I can communicate due to the simple fact, that I don't speak Arabic and they don't speak Farsi.

Now a days, in many parts of this nation, in addition to English another European language is required, which means that those of us who don't speak that Romance language are out of luck and a job.  This did not use to be the case in this nation when my family and I first arrived but due to political correcntess and not pride or prejuice it is now the case and so no matter how many other languages an individual may be familiar with they are out of that job because they don't happen to speak that yet other European language.

To ensure equality at least at the job place if nothing else, English should be made official so that newspaper adds don't exculude many other monorities such as Native Americans, Chinese American, Iranian Americans, or Arab Americans because they did their job, learned English and now discover they are no longer the right "bilingual" , even though they may be tri lingual like myself.

All told, I love America and thank God that He brought me here; what I have always appreciated about America is the freedom to speak.  I Know by some of the posts I read, a good number don't see it this way, but I do, and I am thankful for this opportunity to speak freely.  Finally, I will leave you all with one last thought: As the result of my assimilation and having to learn English, I see English as my own language now.  I don't in any way, shape or form see this language as a foreign language to me.  I speak it, dream it, and even write poetry with it.  I love it, and I thank every single American who played a role in this process; they did not see this as a foreign language to me either; they thought of me as an American from the very start, and that helped me become one of you all; assimilation is beautiful and truly a miraculous process.  Thanks for letting me speak; in Iran, I can not be so out spoken, as many of you saw in the television news
 over the course of summmer.

Blessings to you all.

Peyman