ATEG Archives

May 2007

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2007 21:58:35 -0400
Paul,

How about selecting or creating a short narrative passage with multiple events, perhaps not necessarily sequential.  Present the passage to the class in the past tense and with consistently distal deixis, and then change one event to historical present so they get a sense of how that changes the narrative.  Then have them experiment in groups with changing the deixis of different events to see what different effects that has on the meaning of the narrative.

I don't have a sample available to illustrate this.

Herb

Herbert Stahlke, Ph.D.
Professor of English
Director of Graduate Programs