ATEG Archives

January 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2011 16:15:00 -0500
Susan,
    I am very much aware of the history of grammar in US schools. For a
fuller version of my views, see "Blowing in the Wind: English Grammar
in United States Schools" (co-written with Martha Kolln) in "Beyond
the Grammar Wars" (Ed. Terry Locke, Routledge, 2010.) It's a
substantial rewrite of an article in English Teaching: Practice and
Critique (Dec., 2005), which you can access electronically. I also
address "How Linguistics Can Inform the Teaching of Writing" in "The
Sage Handbook of Writing Devlopment" (Sage, 2009) and have presented
on the topic a number of times at NCTE and 4C's. My recent talk at LSA
was a call for linguists to take more interest in literacy. Martha
Kolln (my co-author)calls the demise of grammar a "perfect storm," a
confluence of a number of factors in the early to mid 60's. Among
composition people (my major training), I would say thinking of
grammar primarily as error is a major factor. If, in fact, grammar is
all about error, then it makes sense to minimize its role within the
writing curriculum. That has been a mainstream position for some time.
   I think even the most progressive of writing teachers are in favor of
avoiding error, though some would limit attention to the most
stigmatizing errors and many are interested in how to do it with as
little terminology as possible.
    One reason I selected prepositional phrase is because a recent thread
on list ended up being resolved once it was understood that the
introductory word group in question was an adverbial prepositional
phrase and thus not a dangling modifier. We also talked about why a
writer might be motivated to do that--as given information, for
example, or as part of the continuing discourse structure of a text.
   You can make the case that there is no value in knowing what a
prepositional phrase is, but I would call that an anti-grammar
position. Prepositional phrases are so basic to language that it could
almost serve as a litmus test.
   Among educators, you are more in the mainstream than I am. I am hearing
an opposition to teaching about grammar in your posts. You see, in
fact, to feel strongly about it.>

Craig