ATEG Archives

January 2011

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2011 06:20:40 -0800
Beth,

I think that I had better make an ammendment to my former post on the contrast between the gerund and imperfect participle.  I find that I myself vacilate between the two pronunciations.  There is more going on here.  I am inclined now to think that the distinction between the two meanings in "Flying planes can be dangerous" is not so much in the formation of "ng", but in the stress contour of the two words.  If I give greater stress to the first word, it is likely a gerund contrasting the phrase with "planes on the ground."  If I give greater stress to the second word, it is likely a participle contrasting the phrase with "riding in planes."  Of course the larger context of the speech act can be decisive. (The "ng" seems to be in free variation.)

Thanks for the gentle nudge your post gave me in this direction.  (Algeo might have gone with ESP. :) )

Bruce