ATEG Archives

October 1999

From:
Reinhold Schlieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 13:33:51 -0400
I suppose we could pursue the matter, couldn't we?  If value judgments are
called for, I would certainly insist that capital punishment is murder indeed
and that no equivocation has taken place at all here.  It is certainly not
warranted to assert that capital punishment is NOT murder, any more than that
it is murder; in fact, it is or is not right in the framework of some
values-oriented theory.  I suppose one must provide a context for the argument
that the writers offer as an example here.  There is really nothing in and of
itself wrong with what is being asserted.  The major premiss identifies a
category; the minor premiss places something into that category, and the
conclusion asserts that the property of the category is also shared by a
subgroup of the category.  That's standard Barbara in the first figure: All
instances where one murders are instances where one commits a wrong act.
Capital punishment is an instance where one murders.  Thus: Capital punishment
is an instance where one commits a wrong act.  That's the same as the All
humans are mortals; Socrates is a human; thus, Socrates is a mortal.  I cannot
see this as an error unless I fault it for the fallacy of four terms, i.e.
equivocation on "murder."  I think your analysis is in this direction; we may
simply talk different terminology, suppose?

==Cheers, Reinhold