ATEG Archives

November 2004

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:55:22 -0500
Dear John,

In "Revising the Rules: Traditional Grammar and Modern Linguistics,"
Brock Haussamen calls this kind of nonrestrictive that-clause an
"amplifying clause."  Under the subheading "Polarities, Not
Categories," he gives a number of examples, much like  your Mars
example, which, as he puts it,
"fall in between the two extremes; they contain information which may
not exactly restrict or define the antecedent but which is
nonetheless essential in the sentence."

Here's an example from a student:

        The main character was a rich, egotistic young man who seemed
to think of himself as better than those around him.

And here are two he cites from the NYTimes:

        How fitting, then, that the Nobel Prize in Literature comes
to Ms. Gordimer as her country begins to dismantle the system that
she has opposed with such urgency.

        Now the prospect of housing them is looming in many more
neighborhoods--some of them middle-class enclaves--under a new City
Charter that requires that all city projects be spread equitably
among its neighborhoods.

I think that "amplifying" is a good name for these clauses.  And it
does help to have a name!

Martha