ATEG Archives

January 2004

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:40:37 -0500
Kent & Mike,

I think that "when" and "while" clauses are often elliptical, as in

        While waiting for the guests to arrive, we ate all the hors
d'oeuvres ourselves.

Here, there's a clear "we were" that could have been included.  Or

        When [I am] in doubt about the weather, I always carry an umbrella.

Your example, however, does not work that way.

        After [  I ?] dining, I went to the opera.

Yours is more than an elliptical clause.

        After I finished dining?   After the act of dining?  After I had dined?

I would call "after dining" a prepositional phrase, comparable to
"after dinner."  And, using traditional terminology, I would label
"dining" a gerund--or simply an -ing verb used nominally.

You'll discover that "while" and "when" clauses are the most likely
elliptical-clause candidates.

Martha