ATEG Archives

November 2004

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 06:31:33 -0800
Christine,

If your book calls /wonder/ a transitive verb, then it's analyzing the
when-clause as a direct object.
That's a traditional assumption, but I think it's wrong.

Calling the subordinate clause a NP-substitute is a bit problematic,
since /wonder/, like many other verbs, doesn't actually take a NP
complement.

Some verbs (e.g., /said/) can take either a direct object or a clause as
a complement, and that's the reason for the analysis that your book
uses, but clauses that are internal complements of verbs actually don't
behave all that much like NPs, so I think it's better to consider
/wonder/ intransitive.

Regards,

Karl

Karl Hagen