ATEG Archives

November 2010

From:
Susan van Druten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2010 17:40:05 -0600
Brett,

Students immediately understand the "you" understood concept.  Scott's definitions need to be simple.  Exceptions can be handled with an asterisk.  In fact, Scott's header should have an asterisk, telling students that grammar is an art and not a science, so these definitions may have some exceptions to the basic rule.  I think what we need with younger students is a foundation.  But we should share with them up front that these definitions have a few exceptions.

I was complimenting you for actually taking the question seriously and providing good responses.  You did respond as though it was beneath you to have to tediously proofread his list.  And it's true.  You shouldn't have to do the entire list, but the few examples you gave were great.  So why not end by saying that you don't have time to do more.  You personally don't have to feel on the spot to give a complete response (or any response at all).  This is a listserv.  Others could add on to your efforts.  Instead, your last sentence may have stopped others from carrying on in the spirit you began (my paraphrase of your last sentence: stop bothering us with petty concerns and get yourself a good glossary).

I love to hear people debate an idea with logic, but it was irritating to read straw man responses assuming the only possible purpose of a list must be to force students to memorize definitions.  I can't imagine for a moment that was Scott's intention.  I was reading this thread with great interest and hoping for good suggestions BECAUSE I do not have any.

I don't contribute often, but I stay subscribed and read most threads because you all are so smart.  Unfortunately, sometimes some of you are thin-skinned and ridiculously protective of your turf.  But you are smart, so I forgive you.

Susan