ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Pam Dykstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 06:57:39 -0500
Gretchen,
year?  And the Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday after that," here is what I do.

I begin by asking students which they would rather do - talk or write, and why.
In the discussion, they realize that talking and writing involve different
situations and structures.  I point out that we talk in chunks (phrases and
clauses) and write in sentences.  This talking/writing framework sets the stage
for the course.  Benefits:

1. It begins with what students already know.

2.  When students realize that writing and talking are two different structures,
they recognize that run-ons, fragments, and rambling discourse are the results of
writing the way they talk.

3.  When they understand that talking and writing involve different situations,
they begin to realize that punctuation is not an arbitrary system of rules to be
imposed on top of sentences, but a system of signs to readers.

The textbook takes the words, phrases, and clauses of talking and shows students
how those ideas are presented in sentences.  In the process, students learn that
a basic sentence consists of a subject and predicate (please see earlier post on
this) which connect to form a stable structure.  Students then see how this
stable structure can carry additions: starters and interrupters.   The textbook
(Rhythms of Writing, Houghton Mifflin, ISBN 0-395-91807-3) is part of the college
division (developmental writing) at Houghton Mifflin, but would work well in the
middle school grades.  I wrote it, so it feels a bit strange to recommend it, but
it provides a systematic approach to grammar that students understand.    Pam

Pam Dykstra
South Suburban College
15800 S. State Street
South Holland, IL 60473