ATEG Archives

October 2006

From:
Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 11:56:58 +0100
>  I have been away and so have not been up to date with queries.  However, on
September 26th David Brown asked whether 'went missing' is as common in British
English as in American.  It certainly is, together with 'went sour', 'went
bust', etc.  I was wondering about the use of present participles after 'to go'.
'It went sinking into the mud'  and 'It went shooting off at an angle' perhaps
match 'It went missing', but do 'We went driving that afternoon', and 'They all
went carol-singing'?

Edmond